Chrysler Repair/T&C Transmission? Jerky motion forward and reverse

Roland, Same van as here: Now 10,000 miles later.
With no prior warning, van will not go forward normally. Van is not drivable. It will go forward and reverse with a jerking motion and a clunking noise as if something is holding it back. There is a pronounced clunk when shifted. Brakes are not locked up. There are no set codes and no pending codes. Is it possible that a front drive axle could be a problem? Otherwise I am suspecting the transmission.  Any observations will be appreciated.

Hi Tom,
If the method you are using to get fault codes accesses the transmission control module memory and indeed there are no codes then certainly I would look into the situation with all four cv joints on the half-shafts. You could lift up the front end, place on jack stands and then try running the powertrain and watch and listen for what might be the source of this behavior. If the sound/motions are very different when off the ground then that would lead me to believe that it is the drive shaft instead of the transmission
Try turning the steering from side to side while doing the observations for further testing of the condition of the joints. Absent trans codes by a valid readout I would be surprised if it was a trans problem. Please let me know what you learn.
Please read the PS below and as in the past respond with a 'nomination'. Many thanks,

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, or asleep overnight, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).