Chrysler Repair/2005 Pacifica Touring won't move

Question
While driving, I heard a pop the vehicle lost power would not move in reverse or drive anymore. I was also rear-ended about a week prior to this happening but other than that no other incidents of this type of issue before.

Answer
Hi Quita,
I assume the engine is running.
Two broad possibilities: One of the drive shafts between the transmission and one or the other front wheel has become disconnected (probably at a flexible joint, called a CV joint). If that happens then although the engine and transmission are working properly the energy that should cause both of the wheels to move the car would be disconnected from both front wheels.
The other possibility is that the transmission stopped working for an unknown reason. That is not usually the way a transmission mal-functions so I believe that is not the case.
I would hope it is the drive shaft being disconnected theory that proves correct as that is much less expensive (several hundred dollars) than any sort of transmission work (several thousand dollars).
I would have the vehicle towed to a shop that you trust to be honest, for them to inspect the drivetrain (engine/transmission/drive shafts) to determine why it won't move. Let me know what you find.

If you were accelerating or decelerating or turning sharply when you heard the 'pop' that would lend support to the broken cv-joint theory. The joint is put under greater pressure under those conditions.
Thanks for the rating and the nomination.
Roland

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston