Chrysler Repair/'95 Concorde: limp-in mode

Question
I have a 1995 Chyrsler Concorde and it goes into limp mode after driving short distances,I turn the car off for awhile and it drives fine for awhile.it will clank when I put it in Reverse so I already know it will be in that mode.fluid is clean but not sure if right one 7176 was used,I recently bought car.what3 should I look for.I checked engine code it was 55 but I need help with what now.Thank you

Answer
Hi Alvertis,
When the trans goes into limp mode it does so because it has detected a fault in the way the transmission is operating. If does so to use the least amount of gears until the problem can be addressed. There is a 2-digit fault code that is stored in the transmission control module that can only be accessed by means of fault code reader which plugs into a blue socket under the dash just to the right of the steering column. The plug is called the Chrysler data link connector. A good independent shop or dealer would have a code reader and plug that fits into that socket.
Ask them to readout for transmission fault codes (not engine fault codes which you can get as you know by the ignition switch). Be sure that the code reader is set to get the transmission fault codes because those are also 2-digit and so can be confused by engine fault codes (although it appears you only have a 55 code for the engine which means 'end of code read out). Let me know what code(s) you get and then we can see what the manual says is the problem.
Please read the PS below and respond to it.
Thanks,
Roland

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston