Chrysler Repair/2.5L/2.8L Diesel engine: Thermostat location

QUESTION: Dear Expert,

I would like to replace my Chrysler Voyager 2003 thermostat. I am not sure where to find it. I was thinking it is near the top rear driver side of engine. Also what do I need to remove to get to it. A picture would be great or a schematic. Many thanks.

ANSWER: I assume this is a 3.3 or 3.8L engine, correct. If so, let me finish dinner and get right back with the answer.

QUESTION: Hi Roland thanks for your quick respond. It is a 2.5L deisel engine. Can  you send a picture or let me know where is the location of the thermostat. Many thanks.

Hi Craig,
I have the manual for the 2.8L diesel used in the '08 Voyager. If that is the same set up as the 2.5 in your '03 then the thermostat housing is reached by removing the engine cover, and then removing the large splash shield panel on the underside of the vehicle (raise the front end) located under the engine. The thermostat housing is connected to the upper radiator hose so trace that hose to find the housing. It is said to be under the egr cooler (and mounted on the cylinder head), whatever that is. It is a typical thermostat housing but it has some extra nipples on for other water hoses. The bolts are torqued to 21 foot-pounds, use a new gasket.
The drawing shows the thermostat housing, but not where it is located with any detail at all.
See if you can't find it via the upper radiator hose.
Please read the PS below and respond to it.

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, or asleep overnight, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).