Chrysler Repair/not cranking

okay I have a 2006 Chrysler sebring convertible 2.4L that wont crank. first off I replaced what I believed was a bad that time I found the neutral cable was bad and replaced it also. After replacing the battery and neutral cable I went to start the car. I turned the key it cranked, fired up then immediately shut off. Second time cranked, fired up then shut off immediately. I made a third attempt but the car wouldn't crank. lights inside, wipers, headlights, radio work. I checked all fuses and relays and the starter all are good. I can hear the fuel pump when I turn the key. I have good spark at the ignition coil. tried a small odb scanner but it gave "no codes found" msg. tried a bigger scanner and all it gave was an "incorrect SKIM key" code. I purchased a duplicate key but still no crank. I also purchased a new ignition switch but I haven't changed it out yet. any ideas or suggestions?

Hi Art,
The failure to crank after the two quick shutdowns is a symptom of the vehicle theft security system not being satisfied with the situation. The code that you got points to the problem being related to the security system key, the antenna that surrounds the ignition switch lock cylinder, or the security module that is attached to the antenna and is accessed by removing the shrouds on the steering column to get access to it. Is there any thing that you can recall about the security key or that system that may have been different?
A new security key has to be programmed to be identical to the original security key. That can only be done if you have two working security keys or you use a diagnostic readout box III at a Chrysler dealer to do the programming. Do you have two original keys? Have you tried both of them? If not, then the only solution is probably to have the car hauled to a dealer to get a key programmed to match the code in the module and the engine controller.
The only other possible fix would be if the antenna wire connectors were loose where they attach to the module. So remove the shrouds and inspect the two ends of the antenna ring to be sure they are firmly attached to the module.
I would return the ignition switch as it is not the cause of the problem. Either the antenna is detached, the key you have is no good, or the new key was not programmed properly as I described above. If you have another key, try it, and be sure to not have the other key nearby when you try it.
I wish there were an obvious fix, but give this a try.
PS Thanks for the rating and nomination.

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, or asleep overnight, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).