Chrysler Repair/'00 town and country: runs rough/smokes

QUESTION: I have a 2000 town and country my wife was driving it was running good then it seated to run rough wouldn't accelerate she pulled over I looked at it it runs really rough like it has a miss and smokes any ideas what to look at? Any help would be appreciated

ANSWER: Hi Matt:
Try using the ignition key to get a fault code that may be stored in the engine controller. Turn it "on-off-on-off-on and leave on" doing that in 5 seconds or less elapsed time. Then watch the odometer window to see the mileage reading be replaced by a 4-digit number preceded by a P. Let me know the number(s) that appear.
Also, is the smoke white or blue, and where is it appearing to come from.
Please read the PS (below) and respond to it.
Thanks for doing that.

QUESTION: The smoke comes from the muffler and tail pipe

ANSWER: Hi Matt,
If the smoke is white (water vapor) and has the odor of anti-freeze when you collect on your hand then that is a sign that there is a leak between the internal engine cooling system and one of the cylinders of the engine that is usually caused by a breech of the head gasket. If it is not too large then it may be possible to close off the leak by means of a cooling system stop leak, such as Bar's Leak added to the cooling system. If that doesn't work, then you could remove spark plugs until you find which cylinder is leaking into and then slightly loosen/torque to spec the head bolts on that bank of cylinders which when looser than spec can also cause a leak. If that doesn't do it, then the head gasket must be replaced.
Please do consider doing a rate/nomination of me for this answer.

QUESTION: What does it mean when the check engine light is flashing

Hi Matt,
When the engine is running rough and varying its rpm and almost dying the engine control module senses this and so the light flashes when it is about to die. If there is a specific problem it has recognized and is therefor putting a fault code in its memory that too will cause the light to come on briefly or sometimes permanently if the code is serious enough to require attention quickly.
Did you try the ignition key clicking approach that I suggested, and find any number in the odometer window?
Thanks for the rating and nomination which you are welcome to do both again if I have been helpful.

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, or asleep overnight, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).