Chrysler Repair/'03 Concorde tranmission: down shifting

Our 2003 Concorde is having strange transmission issue. When driving at about 45 mph, the car will down shift into lower gear. Once that happens during a drive, it does not happen again during that same drive, and the car operates as usual, even when again reaching that same mph. Any suggestion? Will we end up needing a new transmission?.

Hi Barbara,
That downshifting on it own is usually called "limp in" and is an effort by the trans to reduce the possibility of damage when a fault is detected in its operation. Because it happens only once suggests that it may not be a major problem.
The best way to find out would be to have the transmission control module read out for a fault code number using a plug-in code reader in a socket that is under the dash. Some nationwide auto parts stores (e.g. Autozone) will often do that for free, or an independent shop will charge around $40. Ask for the fault code number, what it means, and what they think needs to be done. Then write back and we'll compare notes with the service manual.
There is a self-diagnostic approach using the ignition key. Turn it: "on-off-on-off-on and leave on" doing that in 5 seconds or less elapsed time. Then watch the odometer window to see the mileage reading replaced by a 4-digit number(s), If there is a transmission type of code it may not appear in detail, but rather an 0700 may appear which says there is such a code stored but it had to be obtained using the plug-in code reader. So try that out and let me know what you find.
Please read the PS (below) and respond to it.

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, or asleep overnight, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).