Chrysler Repair/'04 T & C: Rear door won't close

Hi, I have a 2004 town and country. After leaving hospital from wife's surgery I opened the truck using the keypad on my key to load the baby's stroller. Then I went to shut the door using same button and nothing, I heard the noise like it wanted to shut. I made sure nothing was blocking sensors. Then I got into the van and pressed the button on the roof to shut the rear door and got the same thing. I checked fuses I tried closing it with the car on and car off still nothing. I also disconnected the battery still nothing. I can hear that it wants to close but the part just isn't retracting back in to close the door. Is there anything else I can do????

Hi Mike,
There are a number of possible causes. The best way to get a handle on this is to check the body control module (which operates the doors and thus can observe malfunctions) for any fault codes that might be stored in its memory which would suggest what is the cause and how to remediate this. There is a list of possible reasons but the fault code might tell us exactly which one applies. It might be that a nationwide auto parts store such as Autozone has a reader that will access the bcm for free, but if not then a shop with a professional code reader should be able to get the code number which will be 4-digits and preceded by a B or it could be a spelled out name. Once you have the code let me know and I can then send you the pages about how to correct it.
Please read the PS (below) and respond to it.

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, or asleep overnight, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).