Chrysler Repair/'05 T&C: power seat won't move in one direction

Passenger side seat stuck. Motor tries to move it but no dice. Power is there, and one side does move but the other is jammed so the seat can move an inch or so on the free side and the stuck side won't follow. Could it be a loose wire? Says elsewhwere on this site that there are 4 motors, maybe the one thats stuck has a loose connection? Where are the the leads located? can I mes with this w/o removing the seat? Thanks, Keith in Colorado

Hi Keith,
It sounds more like there is a mechanical blockage to the seat mechanism. If so you will need to remove the seat to examine the mechanism, or first look under the seat at the mechanism that is apparently locking up to see if there is a piece of debris.
There is only one motor for the horizontal motion of the seat, which is reversible. If you check the seat control switch for voltage between pins 3 (light green/white) and 6 (light green/ orange) wires: what you should see is +12v when you request to move it one direction and -12v in the other direction. If you see that and it holds even though the seat won't move, then it would appear to be mechanical rather than electrical. If one of the two voltage choices is absent when it hangs up then I would suspect one of the contacts in the switch itself. There is a self-retting circuit breaker which opens when the motor overdraws its current, so don't mistake that for a faulty switch or wiring.
Please read the PS (below) and respond to it.

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, or asleep overnight, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).