Chrysler Repair/Air conditioning fault code 23: '00 300m

Question
I just had the compressor and drier replaced in a 2000 Chrysler 300m.   It now blows cool instead of warm or hot.   But not cold and sometimes it blows warm for a while.   I did the diagnostic by depressing floor, defrost floor and defrost only and the display started blinking.  When it ended I had the number 23 on the display.   What does that mean?

Answer
Hi Wayne,
That code means the blend door actuator on the underside of the HVAC unit is not responding properly to requests for its movement/feedback info. I would suggest that you replace that actuator which then should provide the proper mix of cold/ambient air for the temp that you want to have. It is located toward the left side of the HVAC box under the dash, on the underside of the box and it is the actuator that is closer to the firewall (the mode door is closer to the cabin on that same left side but may not be seen without removing the center stack).
So you remove both the left and right side under panel duct/silencers to see what is on the bottom of the box. The blend door actuator has 2 screws that are accessible from the right side opening and one screw from the left side opening. When you then pull down on the actuator to remove it notice the position of the actuator's tab which meshes internally with the door so that when you put in the new actuator you can place it in that same rotational position to mesh with the door. You can either get an actuator at a dealer parts counter or at a wrecking yard from a similar vehicle.
Please read the PS (below) and respond to it.
Thanks,
Roland

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston