Chrysler Repair/code p1698

hello names john i have a 2001 chrysler town country van i put a obd11/eobd tester on it and i get a code P1698 no ccd/j1850 message from tcm/pcm can u help me out on what it means an how to fix this problem i am helping a handycap couple get ther van on the rode  so thay can go to there drs appoiments ty john

Hi John,
Those two codes point toward the transmission control or an electrical component of the transmission. Does the engine run but the transmission won't move the vehicle?
The 1698 code says that the digital information that is generated by the transmission control module is not getting where it should: either to the powertrain control module or possibly to the instrument cluster (to operate the speedometer or the gear indication lights).
The 1850 is an obscure code that I am not certain applies to the '01 transmission. It says there is a problem with the "brake band control solenoid circuit" but I don't see such a band or such a circuit in the transmission section of the manual or the wiring diagrams. It may be a false code coming from the tester so let us set that aside.
The principal digital information line from the transmission control module to the powertrain control module is on a wire from pin 7 of the tcm that goes to pin 65 of the pcm so check that connection for continuity. There is a set of measurement of the other wiring between the tcm and the pcm to determine which of those two units may be defective. I am not familiar with the tester you have but if it is just a code reader then that alone would not be sufficient to complete.
So if you have neither the diagnostic tool nor the experience I would recommend finding a shop which is skilled in diagnosing and repairing problems related to the digital communication between the tcm and the pcm so as to identify the proper fix.
Thanks for the rating and the nomination.

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, or asleep overnight, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).