Chrysler Repair/transmission problems

have a 2004 Chrysler Sebrig limited 3.0 starting have shifting problems i would have to accelerate to get it going then it would clunk into 1st and slip in and out of 1st and 2nd my friend took out the speed sensor we went to replace it but they gave us the wrong one so he put it back in and i drove it about 15 miles it drove fine shifted perfectly came home and the next day i drove it 1/4 mile and all the gears stopped shifting.

Hi Connie,
It is no doubt in the mode where it will only go in 2nd gear which it does when the controller for the transmission has detected a problem that should be attended to to prevent futher damage, called 'limp-in'. There is likely a fault code stored in the controller that says what is possibly wrong. So get a fault code readout using a plug-in code reader either for free at some nationwide auto parts stores (e.g. Autozone), or at an independent repair shop for around $40. Ask for the 4-digit fault code number(s), what they mean, and what they recommend to do.
Then write me back with the results and we can compare that with the manual about the codes.
I assume this is the Sebring 2-door coupe model, correct.
Please read the PS (below) and respond to it.
Sorry for the delay but I just found your question in the "pool" to which it was referred by the other expert, Kevin.

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, or asleep overnight, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).