Chrysler Repair/'06 T & C 3.8L: compression low on #6 cylinder

My Wife has a  3.8 Town & Country, It has just been diagnosed by the local stealer. The van was running rough , check engine light is on. They say after completing a very expensive compression check that #6 cylinder is reading 50% compression, they did not remove a valve cover to visually check for spring damage nor did they mention anything to do with carbon. All they offered  was to remove head and replace head gasket for $1100. This did not include any other parts or repairs. So before i assume the head is bad do you have any advise or other possible  causes or remedies. Thanks Jim

Hi Jim,
Did they do a fault code readout of the engine controller and if so what were the code numbers?
Other than a compression test. did they do a cylinder combustion pressure LEAKAGE test which might reveal exactly what is wrong in that cylinder. Is there specific indication of a head gasket leak? Is there abnormal sounds from a valve on that side of the engine?
I would want to have a better idea that the head gasket is the most likely cause before authorizing that specific repair. Have you gotten a '2nd opinion' from an engine repair shop, giving them all the information you can get in writing or verbal form from the dealer?
Ideally the testing done so far would give you some assurance that the problem is not with the piston rings, valves. valve guides on that cylinder so that you would know the likelihood that just a head gasket is the problem. Also of course you can get a competitive bid for doing the head gasket job.
Please read the PS (below) and respond to it.

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, or asleep overnight, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).