Chrysler Repair/'08 300 V6: starter intermittent

I'm having a start problem with my 300.  Sometimes it will just not crank.  all electronics work but no clicking like the starter is trying to turn over.  Then, after several tries and minutes, it will crank fine.  Changed the battery after it started and problem still occurs.  Also tried changing the fob battery, still happens.

Hi Jeff,
The starter motor is activated by the starter relay. For the starter relay to be activated the gear shift lever has to be in Park or Neutral and it may be the case that its safety switch is slightly off-center from those detent positions. So try moving the lever slightly off the detent on either side to see if that corrects this.
The other item to check when it won't crank would be the starter motor relay which is located in the power distribution box in the engine compartment. Look for it by means of a label on the box itself. In any case, have a helper try key to activate the starter while you listen for whether there is a click sound that comes from the relay or not. Based upon that answer we can then consider what the possibilities are for this intermittency. Tell me whether you have a volt meter if some tests have to be done.
Please read the PS (below) and respond to it.
Thanks for doing that.

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, or asleep overnight, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).