Chrysler Repair/1998 Chrysler Concorde LXI: no start when very cold

When ever the ambient Temperature drops below 15 degrees F the Vehicle will start and run for only a few seconds then die. If you turn the key off and try again the same thing happens. It is not posting a engine warning light or any codes.
Once the temperature rises above 15 degrees F it starts and runs flawlessly. It has 39,000 miles on it. I have changed the fuel pump relay with no change in the problem.

Hi Alan,
If there are no fault codes, a hard start could be due to a faulty sensor which is not so bad as to set a code, or it could be due to an exhaust gas recirculation valve which is sluggish and not closing tightly which it needs to be to start well. That would also cause a sluggish acceleration were that the case.
It would be good as well to clean both sides of the throttle body butterfly plate as well as the adjacent idle air intake passageway with solvent.
The engine coolant temp sensor should read more than 4,000 ohms when cold; it is located near the thermostat housing.
Those are some ideas.
Please read the PS (below) and respond to it.

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, or asleep overnight, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).