Chrysler Repair/'90 Imperial: Alternator Removal

You've been a great source of info for me on this vehicle, so I figured I'd ask on this topic also.

I need to remove the alternator from the vehicle and replace it.  However, I'm having a devil of a time trying to get to any of the bolts, and most of my tools don't fit in the space to get to it.

What's the best procedure to remove this thing? Also, when I do get it off, am I ok to replace a 90 amp with the 120 amp version?

Which engine (L) are you dealing with?

It's the 3.3L V6.

Hi Ted,
The manual that I have is a Haynes, and it doesn't give any unusual suggestions:
disconnect the battery - post cable
remove the wires from the alternator
loosen the alternator mounting
and the tensioner bolts
remove the drive belt
remove the mounting bolts
The alternator is attached to a mounting bracket which itself is removable, so check whether those bolts are more accessible and if so remove the unit as a whole.

So I don't have anything to offer about tool access. It does note that the pulley may need to be removed and placed on the new alternator, and the shop that sells it may change that out for free. Be sure to verify part numbers between the old and new.
Let me know of how you deal with it so I can share it with others.
I would stick with the 90 amp rather than increasing the current output just in case the now 25 year-old components are not set up to handle that high are current.  

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, or asleep overnight, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).