Chrysler Repair/'99 Cirrus: Stalling when slowing

I have a 1999 Chrysler Cirrus which started to stall on occasion when coasting around a turn or when coming to a stop. It tends to happen when the car has been sitting all night, and more often after a cool night. It might stall after the first few stops, but then seems to be fine for the remainder of the day. It doesn't happen all the time. It always starts right back up. Some days regardless of weather, it won't stall. However, even on days where it does not stall, it acts like it is about to. It will begin to stutter and idle very low, but then it recovers.

Hi Brad,
Try for a fault code readout using the ignition key: "0n-off-on-off-on and leave on" doing that in 5 seconds or less elapsed time. Then watch the odometer window to see if the mileage is replaced by a 4-digit number preceded by a P. Let me know if so.
The part that can cause what you describe is the exhaust gas recirculation valve (egr) which when it gets sticky fails to close tightly which it has to do in order to start, idle, slow to stop without dying. The valve has a stem hidden behind a flange that separates the valve body proper from the round vacuum hose connected top piece. Spray some WD-40 on the valve stem where it enters the valve body proper, then move the stem via the use of the tip of a screwdriver inserted into the slot that goes around the valve stem. Move it back and forth to loosen the valve action and verify that it closes to a dead-stop via internal spring-action.
The valve is mounted sideways, just below the thermostat housing, on the 2.5L engine.
Please read the PS (below) and respond to it.

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, or asleep overnight, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).