Chrysler Repair/pt cruiser 2007 auto trans

became increasingly difficult when shifting the selector from park to drive. last night at work the car wouldn't start yet all systems were go so I slid the selector with great difficulty to drive and then back to park to see if it would engage. it did not as a matter of fact it seemed to release completely and now the selector lever slides readily back and forth with no response at all and car still will not start. I need instructions on how to replace shift cable that are very explicit I have to do my own work on vehicle to belay the cost as much as possible

Hi Penny,
I have the '06 manual on a CD from which I can copy the pages and attach them to an email that I will send to you. So tell me your email address but don't use the @ symbol, instead us "at" or the address will be erased automatically. I also have the '07 but I would need to go the library to use it as my computer doesn't have the correct operating system for it. But I believe there would be no difference between the two years.
You may be able to move by hand the vertical shift rod at the transmission that is attached to the cable so you can put in P/N and then move it to drive, and then drive it home and do the repairs there. The instructions are shown well in the manual pages I will send to you.

Please read the PS (below) and respond to it.

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, or asleep overnight, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).