Chrysler Repair/'05 T & C rear tail light malfunctioning

When I have my headlights on; my passenger side tail light stops functioning. Turn off the car and head lights; tail light works again.  Checked bulbs and fuses all good, then thought it might be the relay, so I switched the park lamp relay with the horn relay issue persists and the horn still works with switched relay.  Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks for your time.

Hi Mike,
That is an unusual sort of behavior. Does the front right park lamp behave similarly or is it normal? What if your don't turn off the car's engine; just turn the headlamps switch to the first detent?
You could start by check of fuses 2 and 3 to be sure they are both conducting, and then try switching them to see if the malfunction changes to the left side tail lamp.
There is also the possibility that if this is a trailer tow equipped vehicle wiring is impacting the tail lamp behavior. Do you have the trailer tow connector at the rear? That taps into the same wire as does the tail lamp but I don't see how it would do this trick.
The output from the park lamp relay goes through fuse 3 to power that tail lamp bulb so see if indeed fuse 3 remains hot both when you have the headlights off or on. Then see how fuse 2 behaves as regards the left side tail lamp under the same two possibilities.
There is something strange going on but I am not sure what it is.
Also take a look at wires at pins 21 and 41 of the plug to the front control module (which is at the front end of the power box; push a fine pin into each wire to see what is going on as far as voltage is concerned in the two possible situations. Those are also powered by fuses 3 and 2, respectively but I am not certain what purpose there is for those. The manual doesn't explain them.

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, or asleep overnight, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).