Chrysler Repair/'91 5th Ave.: Alternator problem

Hello Roland,

Happy New Year and thanks for your assistance in advance.  

I have a 91 5th ave 3.3.  I am getting a code 12 (battery hasn't been disconnected) and code 41.  I have checked battery, all connections including ground, battery, alternator.  The alt is putting out between 14.3 and 14.5v which I suspect is a bit high.  The voltage across the two field terminals on the alt is 8v and battery voltage on the other.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Hi Chris,
The 41 is about the alternator field coil circuit and that is fairly straight forward. You could measure the resistance across the field coils (the pins where the dark blue and the dark green wires are connected. The dark blue wire is from the ignition switch and should show battery voltage in the run position. The dark green goes to pin 20 of the pcm and that is the regulator function (switches quickly on and off to ground to establish the 14.3 output). If you are getting that output on the black/gray wire that connects to the battery when you are running the engine then I don't see any problem with the field coil unless it is an intermittent situation. So check out the wires I listed and try erasing the codes by disconnecting the battery briefly and see whether the 41 code reappears or not.

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, or asleep overnight, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).