Chrysler Repair/91 5th Ave Headlights overdraw circuit

Question
Hello Roland,

Thanks for your assistance in advance.  I have a 91 5th ave with about 200k.  The problem is the with the high beam headlights.  When the high beams are on for more than a minute or two, the lights fully click off.  Circuit breaker I assume.  They come back on pretty quick, but then off again until you turn off the high beam.  Further diagnosis shows that the light green wire on the headlight switch gets warm and will actually melt the plastic on the switch after a period of time.  I have checked that green wire out to underneath the hood, but find no issues with the wire.  Any suggestions appreciated.

Answer
Hi Chris,
The circuit is fairly simple from the dimmer switch forward which is probably where the short circuit/overdraw is occurring, or it could be inside the switch itself. The high beam wire is red/orange and goes to the bulkhead connector pin 6 to a splice behind the left headlamp assembly where it splits and goes to each headlamp. There is also a splice near the cluster where a branch goes to the dash high beam light. Unless the headlamp bulbs were changed out for brighter versions there must be a short of some sort to ground along that pathway if the switch itself is not shorting the current. You could try unplugging the bulbs to see if the wire still heats up to check out the bulbs overdrawing question.
Please read the PS (below) and respond to it.
Thanks,
Roland

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston