Chrysler Repair/HVAC vents selector not changing; '06 Pacifica

Question
i have an 06 pacifica touring that will not change from the floor vent. the indicator on the display shows it try to move and i can see the actuator under the dash move and hear the air changing vents, but it returns as soon as the switch is released. i have performed the reset/calibration procedure and also swapped the actuators and reset again and the vents are still reacting the same. the defrost button does the same thing. the led on the switch will illuminate and the air will change to the defrost vent but as soon as the button is released the led will go out and the vent will return to its starting position. are there any other diagnostics i can perform before i replace the controls?

Answer
Hi Joe,
Because you know which functions are specifically troubled my thought is that the door which is operated by the actuator is binding up which is detected by the control panel and thus it resets to the original position after failing. I would suggest that you remove the mode actuator that is problematic and then fashion a tool similar to the tip of the actuator which meshes with the door and then test the action of the door by hand using such a tool. If it is binding then that might be lubricated, but otherwise you would probably need to remove the entire HVAC unit to go inside and correct the bind up. The unit is designed to do what it is doing when the door will not move to the requested position. I can send you the pages that show the HVAC unit and how to service it, attached to an email. But I need to know your email address. If you tell me that, don't use the @ symbol, instead use "at" or it will be erased automatically.
Roland
Roland

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston