Chrysler Repair/Power Tailgate - 2005 Chry T&C

Question
Here's a weird one: The power tailgate won't lift with the remote nor with the overhead control button if the car is cold. If the tailgate sits in the sun and is warm, it works fine. Can you beat that? I removed the plastic panel, disconnected the connection at the catch. Filed the contacts lightly, checked to determine good connection and so on. Tried it, worked fine!. Preplace the paneling, etc, checked the lift with the remote, worked fine! Tried it again in the AM, cold, wouldn't open. Everything else looked OK when the panel was off. Any ideas???

Answer
Hi Wayne,
There is an inhibit circuit which stops the lift gate from working if the temp is below -12F.
It is sensed by a thermistor located in the light bar above the license plate in the liftgate exterior. You could remove the light bar and change out that thermistor after checking its wires. I can copy the pages about that circuit. The instruction for removing the light bar is yet to be found, by me, but I presume you must remove the interior trim panel to get to it. I can give you that trim panel removal info, and the pages about the thermistor. Let me send that to you tomorrow.
I imagine as a temporary measure that if you placed your hand on the light bar where the thermistor is located you might fake it out.
Roland

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston