Chrysler Repair/2005 Town & Country Lift Gate Stuck Open

Roland - I have a 2005 Town & Country and the power lift gate is stuck open. I've removed the lift gate motor linkage from the lift gate to verify that the struts are good. I've removed the IOD, the negative battery cable, the 40A lift gate fuse, reconnected and the lift gate motor remains jammed.  I'm thinking that this is a mechanical problem.  Any suggestions?

Hi Derek,
You have checked the system to start. I have the '05 manual on a CD. The section on the lift gate describes the motor/latch/lift rod and gear mechanism/full open switch/pinch sensor as devices that might be involved. Then in the body control module section there are several dozen fault codes/remedies covering about 75 pages. I am not sure what is the most efficient way to go but you might start with a fault code readout of the body control module to see if there might be a code to remediate. That likely needs a code reader to do, but you could try cycling the ignition switch "0n-off-on-off-on and leave on" doing that in 5 seconds or less elapsed time. Then watch the odometer to see if the mileage is replaced by a 4-digit number preceded by a B. Let me know if so, or if a description instead appears. If not, then an Autozone or similar nationwide parts store might do the readout for free or at an independent  shop for about $40.
I can copy the few pages about the removing the motor/rod-gear mechanism, full open switch, and attach those to an email I would send directly. But you need to tell me your email address. Don't use the @ symbol, instead use "at" or it is erased automatically.
Please read the PS below and respond to it.

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, or asleep overnight, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).