Chrysler Repair/2005 Town & Country Lift Gate Stuck Open

Question
Roland - I have a 2005 Town & Country and the power lift gate is stuck open. I've removed the lift gate motor linkage from the lift gate to verify that the struts are good. I've removed the IOD, the negative battery cable, the 40A lift gate fuse, reconnected and the lift gate motor remains jammed.  I'm thinking that this is a mechanical problem.  Any suggestions?

Answer
Hi Derek,
You have checked the system to start. I have the '05 manual on a CD. The section on the lift gate describes the motor/latch/lift rod and gear mechanism/full open switch/pinch sensor as devices that might be involved. Then in the body control module section there are several dozen fault codes/remedies covering about 75 pages. I am not sure what is the most efficient way to go but you might start with a fault code readout of the body control module to see if there might be a code to remediate. That likely needs a code reader to do, but you could try cycling the ignition switch "0n-off-on-off-on and leave on" doing that in 5 seconds or less elapsed time. Then watch the odometer to see if the mileage is replaced by a 4-digit number preceded by a B. Let me know if so, or if a description instead appears. If not, then an Autozone or similar nationwide parts store might do the readout for free or at an independent  shop for about $40.
I can copy the few pages about the removing the motor/rod-gear mechanism, full open switch, and attach those to an email I would send directly. But you need to tell me your email address. Don't use the @ symbol, instead use "at" or it is erased automatically.
Please read the PS below and respond to it.
Thanks,
Roland

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston