Chrysler Repair/Catalytic converter plugging up?

QUESTION: Hi Roland its Al from yesterday with the 03 dodge grand caravan  can you tell me if you would know what the symptoms would be if the catalytic converter was getting plugged up

The symptoms of a plugging up catalytic converter are noticed primarily when the engine is operating at higher rpm and load which is when restrictions in the flow of exhaust gas would feed back to the combustion chambers of the engine and thus cause missing due to incomplete emptying of exhaust gas on the exhaust stroke. It would not be noticeable at low/moderate rpm and load. A muffler shop can test for that situation.
Thanks for the rating and nomination.

QUESTION: Yesterday you mentioned something about the egr valve well this 03 doesn't have one any thoughts

Hi Al,
The egr not being used simply means that can't be the cause of missing at idle or when accelerating, if that is the problem. So unless you have a code for 'missing' then either it is too subtle for the pcm to notice it or isn't missing. So waiting for a code is probably the best thing to do in the meantime. You can simply keep try the key approach until a new code comes up.

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, or asleep overnight, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).