Chrysler Repair/Fuel injectors on a 1994 Chrysler LHS 142000 miles

Hi Roland,
         I recently replaced the fuel filter on my LHS and since then I have had a intermittent fuel smell. Tonight I checked the connections on the fuel filter and they were locked tight. I was running the motor and could not locate any fuel leaking out from anywhere. After I shut the motor off, I started looking around the injectors when I noticed a little dampness on top of the center injector on the passenger side. I grabbed the top of the injector and wiggled it and noticed and heard gas coming out from around the injector. The back injector is doing the same thing while the front injector is not wiggling. It would appear that after replacing the filter, it increased the fuel pressure and has caused the injector(s)to start leaking. My questions:

1) Are there seals or gaskets that I can replace?

2) If I replace the injectors, do I have to do anything to the computer?

3) Either way is it an easy or difficult project for a back yard mechanic?

Mar Moore

Hi Mar,
The injectors each have 2 o-ring seals. There is no need to change anything about the computer if you change the seals or the injectors.
I do wonder whether the pressure in the system may be too high due to either a loose vacuum line connection to the fuel pressure regulator or an obstruction of the fuel return pipe to the pump. You might want to check that out before getting into the fuel rail. The pressure without the vacuum line connected should be 48 psi and with it connected and the engine at idle it should be 39 psi.
To change the seals you have to remove the fuel rail which is a multi-step process which would be best shown by my photocopying the pages and postal mailing those to you. It costs me 10 cents a side plus the postage to do that. You can mail me back stamps to cover my costs. Basically you have to remove the upper radiator hose from the thermostat housing, release the fuel pressure, remove the intake manifold plenum, disconnect the supply and return tubes from the rail, disconnect the electrical connectors from the injectors, remove the vacuum tube from the pressure regulator, remove mounting bolts from the rail, remove injector clamp screw, remove the clamp, pry injector out of fuel rail and replace seals.
Let me know if you want the pages.
Please read the PS below and respond to it.

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, or asleep overnight, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).