Chrysler Repair/Headlight not going 'off', Pacifica

I have a 2004 Chrysler pacifica that all of a sudden the auto headlights stopped working. Every other light works but when I turn off the headlights sometimes they do not go off and I just turn them back a notch and then to off and they go off. I do not know if it could be the switch or what. Every other light works manually. No problems except for the auto not working and them not going off when I first turn the headlights off. I have to turn it back on and then off. Thank you.

Hi Trudy,
I assume that you have turned off the ignition switch before you turn off the auto headlamp choice, otherwise the headlamps will remain on if the exterior ambient light level is low. If the ignition is off and the headlamps don't shut off, then I suspect that there is some dirt inside the headlamp control switch that has caused an increase in the measured resistance of the contacts when the switch is in the off position. The switches 'choices' are not "hard" wired, but rather are communicated to the body control module via a series of different internal resistances that are detected by the module, so if some dirt gets on the "off" contact the body module may misread your choice. You could buy a spray can of
"electronic contact cleaner" at an electronics supply store and spray it gently into the interior of the headlamp switch mechanism in order to clean up all the interior switch contact points to see if that might correct the problem. Look for any cracks/seams related to the headlamp control knob as the places to try a gentle spraying.
Please read the PS below and respond to it.

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, or asleep overnight, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).