Chrysler Repair/Pacifica won't start

My wife has an 05' Chrysler Pacifica. It sat in a parking lot for a couple days and it's been cold out. I went to go start the vehicle and it was trying to turn over but wouldn't start. So I decided to jump it, still nothing. So I went and picked up a new battery had them test the old and it was shot.  Put the new battery in and made sure the terminals were clean. Put the key in and everything lit up the way it should but the vehicle would only make one click noise when the key was turned. Any ideas?

Hi Ryan,
There are two items that 'click' when you try the start position: first there is a soft click from the starter motor relay in the power box under the hood (possible not noticeable) and then there is a loud click from the solenoid switch on the starter motor itself in response to the relay having done the soft click (closing of the circuit to activate the solenoid switch).
If it is a loud click and the starter motor doesn't crank, but it did crank before the old battery gave up, then I wonder if the new battery clamps are clean and tight, and if they are then I would wonder if the starter motor may also be on the decline. You could try tapping on the side of the starter motor with a hammer while a helper tries the key which sometimes will "jar" a poor connection inside the starter's commutater/brush interface.
Once you get the starter to respond then see if it will start.
In the meantime, turn the ignition key; "on-off-on-off-on and leave on" doing that in 5 seconds or less elapsed time. Then watch the odometer window of the cluster to see the mileage reading to be replaced by a 4-digit number prefaced by a P. That would be a fault code that could explain why the engine didn't catch and run when the starter motor was working. Let me know the number(s) that appear.
Please read the PS below and respond to it.

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, or asleep overnight, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).