Chrysler Repair/'96 LHS no start

QUESTION: i have a '96 chrysler lhs. it wont start. i have disconnected the battery and tried the key in the door didnt work. i saw a post but no elaboration. the fuse box has 20 fuses and 2 relays

ANSWER: Hi Amber,
Try using the ignition switch to get a fault code readout from the engine control module. Turn the key: "on-off-on-off-on and leave on" doing that in 5 seconds or less elapsed time. Then watch the check engine light, which remains "on", to see it begin to flash, pause, flash, etc.
Count the number of flashes before each pause. Then repeat the process to be sure of an accurate set of flash counts. Tell me those counts in the order of appearance and we'll go from there.
When you say it won't start, do you mean the starter won't rotate the engine, that the starter does rotate the engine but it won't catch, or that it rotates the engine and the engine will run for a couple of seconds and then die? That is important for me to know to help you. Also tell me if you have the 3.3 or the 3.5L engine.
Please read the PS (below) and respond to it.

QUESTION: it has 3.5l. lost keys looking for code

ANSWER: If you don't have the keys then the only way to get a fault code is via a plug-in code reader. But you will need the keys sooner or later so try to find them.
And what do you mean by 'won't start'?

QUESTION: it wont start with the alarm set. i got the keys. how many times do i have to start-off in 5 secs?

If you mean that the alarm is not cancelling when you have unlocked the driver's door (and as the result the engine does start but then it dies after a couple of seconds) then a fault code is probably not needed. You have to get the alarm to be cancelled.
Try to lock, then unlock, the passenger side door and see if that cancels the alarm
To get a code: on-off-on-off-on and leave on".

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, or asleep overnight, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).