Chrysler Repair/'02 3.0L: codes 0171, 0335, 0340

Question
QUESTION: ROLAND, THE COIL ON MY 2002 CHRYSLER SEBRING 3.0 WAS CRACKED. WHICH CAUSED IT TO START AND IDLE ROUGH, BUT UNDER LOAD WOULD DIE. THIS DID NOT SET ANY CODES. I THINK WE HAVE DISCUSSED THIS BEFORE.

I JUST PUT IN A NEW DISTRIBUTOR. NOW WHEN THE ENGINE STARTS UP IT SETS CODES P171 P335 AND P340 THE ENGINE SEEMS TO RUN OK.

I CAN NOT BELIEVE THAT BY REPLACING THE DISTRIBUTOR IT WOULD CAUSE THESE ISSUES.

ANY IDEAS?

ANSWER: Hi Eddie,
Have you disconnected the battery to erase the codes, then drive the car for a bit to see if the codes have returned? There will always be a new 1684 code set when you disconnect the battery by the way.
The 0171 says the fuel/air ratio is lean and would have nothing to do with changing the distributor. The 0335 is about the crankshaft position sensor signal which also is unrelated to the distributor, as that sensor is separate from the distributor.
The distributor (cam sensor) and the crank sensor do share the 5 volt supply for their function so you might check out that voltage reading at one or the other sensor (pin 1 of the 6-pin plug of the distributor, and pin 2 of the 3-pin plug at the crankshaft sensor). Otherwise I don't have a theory for why the 0335 and 0340 are there.
Please read the PS below and respond to it.
Thanks,
Roland

QUESTION: I HAVE BEEN WAITING ON A REPLACEMENT DISTRIBUTOR FROM ADVANCE AUTO. TO RATE YOUR ANSWER. I DO RECOMMEND YOU FOR MECHANIC OF THE MONTH.

I DID FIND THAT BANK 1 02 SENSOR 1 WAS CAUSING THE P0171 CODE.

WILL GET BACK TO YOU ON P0335 AND P0340 CODE WHEN I GET THE NEW DISTRIBUTOR.

Answer
Hi Eddie,
Thanks for the progress report. I am pleased that the O2 sensor replacement cured the 0171. I hope that a different distributor will solve the 0335 and O340, but do verify that the 5V supply that powers up the two sensors is solid at 5V as well.
Thanks for doing the rating and nomination when you feel moved to do it.
Roland

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston