Chrysler Repair/2.7L engine: setting timing chains

QUESTION: My water pump went out on my 2003 Dodge Status 2.7 liter. So me thinking I'm mechanically inclined thought I would tackle this myself. So I went at it. Taking everything off that I needed to. I was replacing the secondary timing chains as well. So I got the timing chain off and went ahead and removed the cam shafts. Put the new timing chain on and realized that my timing was off. That's when I realized that I didn't set the timing before I took the timing chain off. Is there away I can correct this error if so how?

ANSWER: Hi Jason,
I assume that you didn't try to start the engine with the valves out of time with the position of the crankshaft so that you didn't experience any 'interference' between the pistons and the valves.
If you re-remove the cam shafts that should allow all the valves to close and it should be safe to rotate the crankshaft to tdc without interference, then you can re-install the camshafts and the timing chains as per the manual.
Do you have the pages from the manual to do this properly? If not, I can copy them and attach them to an email I would send to you directly if you tell me your email address in a follow-up question. But don't use the @ symbol, instead use 'at'.
Please read the PS (below) and respond to it.

QUESTION: No I don't have the manual. That would be great if u could email that to me. thanks..

ANSWER: I will copy the pages and email them to you. See the original answer which I just revised.
You can do another rating, and if you would be so kind as to do a 'nomination' of me as well that would be appreciated.

QUESTION: Everytime I get the primary timing chain set the timing on the cams r off. Is this supposed to be like this?

Did you follow the procedure shown on the pages that I sent to you? I believe that if you look carefully at the procedure it should turn out properly. Did I send you the pages that show your engine? If not, let me try to send you another set that may be the correct ones. Tell me the page numbers that I sent to you already.

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, or asleep overnight, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).