Chrysler Repair/2000 Intrepid A/C Transducer Test

Hello Roland, In our past correspondence I mentioned that the A/C had stopped working also, I tested the voltage at pin #42 at the gray connector of the PCM, I get 0.70v at the pin no mater if A/C is on or off, key on or off, at all times it is 0.70v.

Hi Tim,
The transducer connects a 5v supply voltage coming from pcm pin 62 to pin 2 of the transducer over to  pin 3 of the transducer that then goes to pin 42 if the refrigerant pressure is neither too low not too high. So if you are reading only 0.7V that means the switch is open and you are basically showing the "ambient" voltage on pin 42 which is that of a voltage sensing circuit in the pcm. If the AC compressor has been inoperative for a long period of time then it is likely that is the result of a loss of refrigerant from the system. It is doubtful that the pressure now is too high unless you recently overfilled it.
You could add refrigerant until you notice that the voltage at pin42 jumps up to something near 5V at which point if you activated the compressor by requesting AC or defrost, then it is likely that the compressor clutch will close and allow for the normal operation of the AC system.

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, or asleep overnight, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).