Chrysler Repair/Possible problems with car not being driven for extended period of time

Question
Looking to purchase a 2001 truck with 80,000 miles...Owner states that the truck was sitting non-op licensed for 5 years in his garage..It seems to start and run nice, but I'm wondering if having been just sitting for so long might cause me some future issues...Any opinions?

Answer
Hi John,
If the environment was not extreme and the garage was attached to a house then it would not have been any extreme sort of temperature or humidity experience for the truck. My main concern would be whether the engine was not operated at all, even once in 5 years, was there some wear that occurred to the piston ring/cylinder wall interface when the engine was re-started? I would be inclined to measure the compression pressure of all the cylinders to be sure they meet the minimum which is typically around 100 psi and that the variation between them is less than 20%. Also, with the help of a following vehicle, allow the engine to slow down from road speed to near idle, then accelerate and have the 'follower' watch for any blue smoke from the tailpipe.  Inspection for coolant leaks and for lubricant leaks from the engine and transmission would be appropriate to detect drying/cracking of seals. Perhaps you can test drive a good distance, then park it and inspect the garage surface under the vehicle the following day for signs of leaks. Also check that the brake pedal is firm when pressed and held with the foot for several minutes to check for leaks in the system.
Most of these assessments would apply to the purchase of any used vehicle.
Please read the PS (below) and respond to it.
Thanks,
Roland

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston