Chrysler Repair/1999 Chrysler T&C minivan: missing

Question
Van starts chugging, hesitating and backfiring while driving. There doesn't seem to be any common thread when it does it. It happens when going fast or slow, uphill or downhill, around curves sometimes, wet or dry weather. It just starts to hesitate, then backfires a few times. I've tried letting off the gas and accelerating when it happens. Thanks for your help.

Answer
Hi Eileen,
I would check whether there is a 'fault code' stored in the engine controller which will point us toward the problem. Turn the ignition key: "on-off-on-off-on and leave on" doing that in 5 seconds or less elapsed time. Then watch the odometer window of the speedo unit to see the mileage reading to be replaced by a 4 digit number preceded by a P. Let me know what you find and we'll go from there. Tell me which size (L) engine you have.
Please read the PS (below) and respond to it.
Thanks,
Roland

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston