Chrysler Repair/1999 Chrysler T&C minivan: missing

Van starts chugging, hesitating and backfiring while driving. There doesn't seem to be any common thread when it does it. It happens when going fast or slow, uphill or downhill, around curves sometimes, wet or dry weather. It just starts to hesitate, then backfires a few times. I've tried letting off the gas and accelerating when it happens. Thanks for your help.

Hi Eileen,
I would check whether there is a 'fault code' stored in the engine controller which will point us toward the problem. Turn the ignition key: "on-off-on-off-on and leave on" doing that in 5 seconds or less elapsed time. Then watch the odometer window of the speedo unit to see the mileage reading to be replaced by a 4 digit number preceded by a P. Let me know what you find and we'll go from there. Tell me which size (L) engine you have.
Please read the PS (below) and respond to it.

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, or asleep overnight, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).