Chrysler Repair/'91 2.2L: failure to start

Hello Roland here's a long and tedious question. My 91 Plymouth Sundance stuttered to a stop and refused to restart. After the tow home I read the codes using the key dance, got a 14, replaced the Map sensor, and still no start. Checked codes again got 11. Then going back to basics I checked for spark- got none. Read my Chiltons to check for distributor reference pickup. Using the jumper wire I got a spark at the coil wire then checked with voltmeter from harness to ground and got slightly over 7 volts indicating coil failure. Replaced that- still no start. Checked codes again got same reading. Went all out and bought new PCM- still no spark or start. Also, now the only codes readable are 12 and 55. In other words nothing wrong. Could the ASD relay be bad and not be readable off the dash light? Or what else to look for? Thanks for any help, WW

Hi Wolfgang,
You can temporarily by-pass the ASD by removing it and jumping a wire from the front to the rear pin of the socket. That will put 12v on the coil and fuel pump but should not be operated regularly that way for safety reasons.
Then you could check that the distributor sensor is pulsing properly by measuring the voltage between black/gray and black/light blue wires on pins 24 and 4 of the PCM where you should observe a pulsation between 5 and 0.3V as you rotate the engine by hand. The orange wire on pin 7 should be 8v constant.
If you have that pulsation and the 12V on the coil then you should get spark.
Also, check the vacuum like from the MAP to the intake manifold for cracks.
Let me know what you find.
Please read the PS (below) and respond to it.

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, or asleep overnight, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).