Chrysler Repair/bushings on rear leaf springs: '99 mini-van

1999 Dodge Grand Caravan 3.3L 4 spd

How many bushings do I need to replace for the leaf spring on this model? Are these all the same size?

I am asking this as I was asked to replace these during state periodic inspection.

Hi Shafique,
The '98 and '02 manuals show a single bushing at the front of each leaf spring, no bushing at the rear. There is a difference in the design of the bushing between those two model years, and also a difference therefor in the special tools needed to remove and install the bushing. So I would check with a dealer parts counter to determine which bushing type you need for your '99 model year.
It may be that the most economical thing to do is for you to remove the springs but have the dealer replace the bushings as the cost of the special tools may be greater than the labor cost. Then you can reinstall the springs without any special tools. Let me know which type of bushing you have (like the '98 or like the '02), then I can tell you the part numbers of the special tools that you would need. If you don't have a manual I can photo copy the pages and postal mail them to you. But determine which bushing type you have.
Please read the PS (below) and respond to it.

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, or asleep overnight, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).