Chrysler Repair/crank/no crank: '97 Sebring lxi

QUESTION: in the moring car cranks and starts after driving a few miles turn off return to start 15 minutes later will not crank.chrys. sebring lxi 2.5 1997 will crank next moring and start thank you michael

ANSWER: Hi Michael,
By 'no crank' I assume you mean the starter motor won't activate and crank the engine over. The first thing to determine is whether the starter relay clicks when you turn the key to the 'start' position. It is located in the cabin, at the bottom of the center console, behind a panel If it does, then we focus on the wire from the battery to the starter motor solenoid switch and the wire from the starter relay to the starter solenoid switch, and the - post wires that connect to the engine and the chassis. Any one of those corroded or loose could cause that.
It the starter relay doesn't click then check the park/neutral interlock by moving the shift lever slightly off-center and also try switching out the starter motor relay with another one in the power box that has the same part number.
The lxi is the coupe model of the Sebring, I also assume.
Let me know if my assumptions are wrong or you need details on where the starter relay is located. It should make a soft click; the starter motor has a solenoid switch and it should make a loud click if it is getting the go ahead from the starter relay, when it won't crank over the engine.
It is also possible that the battery is weak, in which case you would likely hear the loud click of the starter solenoid repeatedly clicking when the starter won't turn over the engine.
Please read the PS (below) and respond to it.

QUESTION: i need details where starter relay is located.when no crank i here fuel pomp but not sure obout click

The manual shows there to be a center console where the heater and radio are located. At the bottom of that stack is an opening, perhaps covered with a removable panel behind which on the right side of the opening is the starter relay. (There are two relays, side by side, and the one on the right is the starter relay). It should click softly (feel it or listen) when you turn the key to "start", and that should simultaneously cause a loud click in the engine compartment at the starter motor proper, and that should simultaneously cause the starter motor to crank over the engine...if everything works. Tell me what you observe when it won't respond.
Thanks for the rating and nomination! You can do both again if you so-choose.

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, or asleep overnight, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).