Chrysler Repair/Heating/Cooling illumination/power windows on '00 300M

I have a 2000 300M. 1) The engine will chug when I try to start it if it has idled with the air conditioner on for too long. 2) The digital display for the comfort system no longer lights up although the comfort system still works. 3) The windows will not go down.

Hi Susan,
I don't understand what you mean by "chug". Does the engine die and then not run well when you restart it, or does it just not accelerate from a stop? Describe 'chug' a bit more.
The digital display for the comfort system is powered by the same variable voltage as the other dash lights, so if those are working then it is likely that there is a 'cold' solder joint between the orange wire's pin 4 at the socket located on the rear of the control unit and the circuit board to which that pin is attached. You could start by tapping the front of the unit to see if the digital illumination might come back on (which would indicate a loose solder joint inside the unit.  The control unit should be removed (the entire center stack has a surrounding bezel and the entire bezel and controls come out as a unit by gently going around the edge of that bezel with a wooden pry stick (popsicle stick) which will release the bezel from push-clips which retain it in place. Then go to the rear side of the AC control panel and check that there is a variable (when you vary the brightness of the illumination of the gauges on the dash) voltage on the orange wire at pin 4. If so then open the control panel and check the connector for that wire that is between the socket for pin 4 and the circuit board, and then do a re-heating the solder joint at the circuit board proper.
The power window motion is powered by circuit breaker No. 1 on the fuse box behind the left hand end-cap of the dash. You will see two circuit breakers just in front of the array of fuses. Check that there is 12v on both pins of the circuit breaker No. 1 when the key is in the run position (however, if the courtesy illumination lights on the power window switch panels are lighted, then that would be a sign that the 12v is present. If not, then we have to check the wire from the circuit breaker to the switch in the driver door which may be 'open'. If that wire is o.k. then we have to check that the circuit breaker is working using a volt meter.
So let me know what you learn, and also whether you have access to a volt-ohm meter or continuity tester.
Please read the PS (below) and respond to it.

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, or asleep overnight, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).