You are here:

Chrysler Repair/'01 Cherokee stalling


QUESTION: I have a 2001 grand jeep Cherokee i have had Cherokee for two months and its giving me all kinds of problems. I have replaced the alternator,battery ends,coil pact,spark plugs,cam shaft sensor,crank shaft sensor & a oil sentry. Yet my car is still randomly dying on me. I have replaced sentry the mechanic keeps telling sentry yet the rpm will under idle than die why?please help..

ANSWER: Hi Telisa,
The best approach is to find out whether the engine controller has recognized a problem and put a fault code number in its memory that tells why. Turn the ignition switch: "on-off-on-off-on and leave on" doing that in 5 seconds or less elapsed time. Then watch the odometer window to see the mileage reading be replaced by any 4-digit numbers preceded by a P which would be fault codes. Let me know what you find and we'll go from there.
Please read the PS (below) and respond to it.

---------- FOLLOW-UP ----------

QUESTION: Okay so i tried what you said but once i do that my odometer only says done but shows me no code. So whats next?

ANSWER: "Done" means there are no fault codes. My suggestion when the engine does that random stalling when slowing to a stop and there are no fault codes then the item to check is the exhaust gas recirculation valve (egr valve) which may be gummed up as regards it opening/closing action. Find that valve and spray some WD-40 on the valve stem so that it closes tightly when you are at idle/slowing down. That may be all that needs to be done for that sort of a problem.
If you would rate this answer and give a "yes" for a nomination of me I would appreciated that.

---------- FOLLOW-UP ----------

QUESTION: So where is the egr valve located? So this should stop the cranking up than dying no to soon after being cranked?

The egr valve is mounted along a small pipe that branches off from the exhaust manifold and is routed toward the throttle body. I don't know which engine that you have so I can't describe exactly but look at the exhaust manifold (both if it is a V-6 engine) to find such a pipe usually coming out at the middle of the manifold and then follow along it until you find the valve. It usually has a round top-piece with a vacuum hose attached to that, the body of the valve which is mounted in the small pipe, and between the two there is a flanged area where if you look carefully you will see a metal rod which is the stem of the valve. Spray that stem where it enters the valve body with WD-40. Then notice the stem has a circumferential slot into which the tip of a screwdriver can be inserted which then allows you to move the stem back and forth. Do that to loosen up the valve 'action'. Then see how the engine runs.
Thanks for doing a rating and a "nomination" of me for 'volunteer of the month'.

Chrysler Repair

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Roland Finston


Get a Free Fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2012 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.


Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

Awards and Honors
"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).

©2017 All rights reserved.