Chrysler Repair/1998 Sebring convertible top doesn't come down

Question
QUESTION: Hi Roland, I need your help once again.  I have a 1998 Sebring convertible, and the top doesn't go down.  It goes up OK, but not down.  Normally when I push and hold the switch, the four windows lower about an inch or so, and the top goes down.  Now, nothing happens.  No window movement, no top movement, no sound at all.  I'm thinking it could be the switch that's bad, because if the switch isn't working, neither the windows nor top would operate.  Now, could it be the relay?  I don't think so, but want your opinion.  Looking at the schematic, it appears as if the switch sends power to both the window timer module and the relay.  If the relay was bad, the windows would still come down a little.  If the window timer module was bad, the top would still come down.  Since neither one operates, I'm thinking it's not the relay.  I also don't believe it's the motor, since it works in the top-up direction.  I think it's the switch.  What are your thoughts on this?  Thanks for your help.

Bill

ANSWER: Hi Bill,
The power top switch would be the first thing to check. The up (close) relay and the down (open) relay circuit is basically depending upon the switch putting 12v on one relay while the other is grounded, and reversing the polarity to reverse the direction of motion. I would suggest that you remove the switch and disconnect its plug. Then test for continuity connections: neutral position: pins 1 and 4 should be connected, pins 2 and 5 should be connected. open/down: pins 1 and 4 should be connected, pin 6 and 5 should be connected. close/up: pins 6 and 1 should be connected, pins 2 and 5 should be connected.
If any of those are 'open' then the switch has a bad internal contact. You could try spraying some electrical contact cleaner into the switch through any opening.
Please read the PS (below) and respond to it.
Thanks,
Roland

QUESTION: Thanks Roland, for helping me again.  I can't find any detail on how to remove the switch.  Do I just pry it off, or do I need to remove the console and get to it from behind?  Thanks.

Answer
Hi Bill,
The manual doesn't show the location of that switch. Can you describe where it is (what are the nearby components/switches)?
Thanks for the rating of my first answer. If you would click on that again only this time also answer "yes" to the question about a nomination of me to be "expert of the month" I would appreciate than. I am in a close race for this month.
Roland

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston