Chrysler Repair/2.2/2.5L 4 cyl, timing belt tension spec

Hello again, just one more-hopefully- question. This time regarding the 2.2L timing belt's tension. Reading through the Chiltons they mention using a Chrysler service tool #C-$$$$ or something to achieve correct tension. I dealt with this same problem on my last car, an 87 Chevette. All experts pro told me to just make sure it's taut and that a service tool wouldn't be needed. Does this hold true here? I always thought that's what the tensioner is for anyway. Thanks again, as always you have been an immeasurable help. I may have time Sunday to pull the alternator off then maybe Mon at least get the new belt on and Tues wrap it up.

Hi Wolfgang,
That service tool is simply a thin box-end wrench which fits on the tensioner's larger bolt. The adjustment is supposed to be to put about a 15 degree rotation of the wrench between no tension position and correct tension position. The Haynes manual suggests that as an alternative adjustment that a correct tension on the belt is when it measures via deflection of it mid-way between the tensioner and the cam sprocket. That spec is that the deflection, when pushing forward toward the front of the vehicle, should be about 5/16 of an inch. Adjust to achieve that deflection.
You are welcome. Please feel free to do another rating and nomination.

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, or asleep overnight, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).