Chrysler Repair/2.2/2.5L 4 cyl, timing belt tension spec

Question
Hello again, just one more-hopefully- question. This time regarding the 2.2L timing belt's tension. Reading through the Chiltons they mention using a Chrysler service tool #C-$$$$ or something to achieve correct tension. I dealt with this same problem on my last car, an 87 Chevette. All experts pro told me to just make sure it's taut and that a service tool wouldn't be needed. Does this hold true here? I always thought that's what the tensioner is for anyway. Thanks again, as always you have been an immeasurable help. I may have time Sunday to pull the alternator off then maybe Mon at least get the new belt on and Tues wrap it up.

Answer
Hi Wolfgang,
That service tool is simply a thin box-end wrench which fits on the tensioner's larger bolt. The adjustment is supposed to be to put about a 15 degree rotation of the wrench between no tension position and correct tension position. The Haynes manual suggests that as an alternative adjustment that a correct tension on the belt is when it measures via deflection of it mid-way between the tensioner and the cam sprocket. That spec is that the deflection, when pushing forward toward the front of the vehicle, should be about 5/16 of an inch. Adjust to achieve that deflection.
You are welcome. Please feel free to do another rating and nomination.
Roland  

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston