Chrysler Repair/91 Lebaron Digital Dash

Hi, Roland,

I have a 91 Lebaron LX Convertible with a Digital Instrument Cluster and a Electronic Vehicle Information Center (EVIC).

My EVIC died and I left it plugged in. Soon after my Digital Cluster began intermittent showing Tach/Speed/Volts/Turn Signals/The Flashing Dot indicating +200,000 miles and nothing else, even the interior light dimmer only works for the Radio and CD players.

I took the dash apart and the big chip had corrosion signs which I cleaned with rubbing alcohol and a toothbrush. The full display worked for a while and now it's always in partial mode.

I did the self-test trip+reset then miles/metric and get a fault code 920 and all displays work during the tests. This leads to a test 92 requiring a DRBII tester which I don't have, but I have the service manual pertaining to this test and can identify all components except:

1. Where is the Theft Alarm Module behind the glove box?

2. Where is the Compass/Temp Module and where is the Header?

Thanks in advance for your sage advice, I've read some of your previous posts and you definitely have a wealth of knowledge you are kind enough to share.

Hi Gary,
The '91 manual doesn't show an evic but rather only a Traveler/Navigator. Is that what you mean by the EVIC? The compass module seems to be located in the overhead console, but that too seems to be located in the overhead console which I wonder where that might be in your convertible?
The Theft alarm module is located on a bracket which is mounted cross-wise above the glove box. So you remove the instrument panel under dash silence, then remove the glove box. There you will see the bracket with two possible modules: outboard module is the theft alarm module while inboard module is for lamp outage. A remote keyless module may be there too, mounted above the bracket but it isn't clearly marked in the drawing. The theft module has a 21-pin natural color plug, but do not unplug it UNLESS the engine is running when you do so. Otherwise you may get a "hard" lock down of the system.
I am not clear as to what you mean by the "header".
I have a DRB II if you are in the Bay Area.
Please read the PS (below) and respond to it.

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, or asleep overnight, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).