Chrysler Repair/92 Lebaron conv smog check

Getting ready to take my 1992 Lebaron in for a California smog check. Just replaced the battery(was disconnected for over and hour and wondering if I will have to drive it awhile to reset the computer as I did to get 2002 Honda Accord to pass and If so how much do I need to drive it....Also check engine light comes on occasionally (usually when I run the air for many miles or sit idling for a long period. But goes off when I turn off the ignition...

Hi John,
The 12 fault code "battery disconnected recently" will remain showing until you turn the ignition on-off for 50 to 100 times.
It is not based upon distance driven. You can check for fault codes with the ignition key: "on-off-on-off-on and leave on" doing that in 5 seconds or less elapsed time. Then watch the check engine light, which remains "on", to see it begin to flash, pause, flash, etc. Count the flashes before each pause. Then repeat to be sure of accurate counts. If all you get are two groups of 5 counts (a 55 code) then you have no faults in the memory. Otherwise there is a fault which you would want to correct before the smog check. A 12 code might not be an issue, but try to get rid of it by cycling the ignition on-off till it goes away.
Please read the PS (below) and respond to it.

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, or asleep overnight, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).