Chrysler Repair/AC blowing hot air only passenger side: '00 minivan

QUESTION: AC works great, but hot air coming out on passenger side

ANSWER: Year/Make/Model, please.

QUESTION: 2000 Chrysler grandvoyeger SE

Hi Bob,
There are two separate 'blend door actuators' if it behaves as you describe. Those doors are what set the air temp for the driver and the passenger separately. Probably the passenger side door actuator is not working or it could be the door itself is stuck. In either case you would want to get to the passenger actuator and remove it, rotate the connection between the actuator and the door to test that the door moves freely, and if so then replace the actuator if the electrical cable to it appears to be normal. You could verify the wires between the plug and control panel but without any obvious damage I doubt that is the cause.
First try the calibration procedure below to see if that might correct the problem. If not:
The actuators are located on the far left end of the HVAC unit under the dash. You access that end by first removing the Panel which is underneath the steering column. It has screws positioned around the edge as well as scress that hold the parking brake release handle to the dash. Once you get all the screws out you then would find it easier to also disconnect the parking brake release cable from the end of the release handle so as to get the panel out of the way. If you have anti-lock brakes the first thing that you see if you look toward the right is the ABS control module so you remove that. Then you will see the left hand end of the HVAC unit. Notice that there are 3 similarly shaped devices each with a cable and those are the actuators. The upper one is the mode actuator, the two lower ones are the blend door actuators. The rear of those two actuators is the passenger side blend door actuator. It is held in position by 2 screws which when removed allow its removal. Note the position of the  connector for subsequent re-mating. Then see if the door is moving freely. If so, replace the actuator. Assembly is the reverse.
There is then a HVAC calibration procedure that needs to be done and that is described at length in the manual. You could try that NOW to see if that might correct the actuator problem.
Set the blower on high. Set mode to panel. Open all AC outlets. Set temp controls to cold. Depress WASH and Rear Wiper buttons simultaneously for 5 seconds (until all LED's light).
All LED's will turn on for 5 seconds. The test is running when rear wiper and Intermittent are flashing simultaneously. Cooldown test is running when A/C and Recirc are alternately flashing.
After it finishes which takes a couple of minutes, an acceptable calibration is when the Rear wiper LED alone is flashing at the conclusion. Push rear wiper button to exit. Any other result is a coded message for some sort of failure so let me know if so.
So try that first and let me know what you learn.
Thanks for the rating/nomination and kind remarks.

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, or asleep overnight, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).