Chrysler Repair/distributor/oil pump drive: 2.2L

Hello again, I wrote several weeks back about an ignition problem regarding a 1991 Plymouth Sundance 2.2l 5 speed ignition problem. What I eventually found after a constant lack of spark was that the distributor drive is stuck or frozen. In other words, the distributor was never turning since the drive on the oil pump wasn't moving. I can't find what drives the oil pump in any diagram. Is there a balance shaft or a shaft off the timing belt for just that purpose. The engine stalled after going down a slight hill after using engine braking to help slow it down. I am wondering if that reverse torque sheared something or if the oil pump just gave up the ghost right then. I've only driven the car less than a year and am considering scrapping it as I know a pump will mean at least dropping the pan. It is what else I may find that worries me. Thanks for any ideas, thoughts, etc. Yours truly, Wolfgang

Hi Wolfgang,
I doubt that you have a serious mechanical issue. The distributor and the oil pump are driven by the intermediate shaft and that shaft has a sprocket that is driven by the timing belt. My suspicion is that your timing belt is broken and you need to replace it and that will get your distributor and oil pump running again. Do you have the procedure for replacing the timing belt?
You can check out my theory by removing the inspection plug of the upper timing belt cover at the camshaft location, then rotate the crankshaft by means of a socket and handle on its bolt and observe whether the camshaft moves or not.
Please read the PS (below) and respond to it.

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, or asleep overnight, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).