Chrysler Repair/Malfunction Indicator LightL code 0340

Question
QUESTION: The light came on this morning. Solid - no blinking. Then the car seemed to bogging down. All fluids are good.

ANSWER: Hi Nancy,
You didn't tell me the year but if it is relatively recent vintage then the best thing to try is for a fault code readout of the on-board self-diagnostic system. Turn the ignition switch: "on-off-on-off-on and leave on" doing that in 5 seconds or less elapsed time. Then watch the odometer window of the speedometer to see if the mileage reading is replaced by a 4-digit number preceded by a P. If so, let me know the number and we'll go from there. Tell me the year/make/model/engine (L).
Please read the PS (below) and respond to it.
Thanks,
Roland

QUESTION: It's a 2006. The code that came up was P0340

ANSWER: Hi Nancy,
That is the code that says the "camshaft rotational position sensor" signal is faulty. Depending upon the engine the sensor is located usually on the front of the engine and is quick to replace. The sensor itself will be less that $100 and labor should be less than half an hour. If you tell me which engine you have and you want to try it yourself I can tell you where it is and how to do it.
Thanks for the rating and nomination, which you can do both again if you so choose.
Roland

QUESTION: Is it safe to drive or will it stall out?

Answer
Hi Nancy,
That is difficult to predict but it is probably not too far from stalling out if the signal further degrades. The sensor controls the synchronization of the spark and fuel injectors with the motion of the pistons and valves of the individual cylinders so when it degrades further the engine will certainly cease to produce power (e.g. stall). So I would not attempt any trips that take you far afield until it is replaced. If you aren't going to do it yourself, I would only go so far as to the shop that will do the repair. Better to do that than to also have to get a tow.
Thanks for the second rating...and the website also allows you to give me another "nomination" for expert of the month, if you so choose.
Roland

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston