Chrysler Repair/timing belt: 2.2L

Question
Wow what can I say you nailed it. I would never have thought the belt, which looked good when I put a new water pump on would have failed and then to cause the distributor to go. Which, by the way, I would have thought would be run off of the crankshaft via another shaft. Anyways, are the piston crowns recessed enough to avoid valve crash? It seems to turn over with good compression. Thanks again! I am off to order a new belt and hopefully Monday and Tues. next week to install it. I may have to remove the ac bracket and break the motor mount as I had to when I replaced the water pump. Take care, Wolfgang. P.S. I added feedback.

Answer
Hi Wolfgang,
Correct, this is a non-interference engine so there would be no damage to pistons or valves. The right motor mount will need to be opened up (while supporting the engine with a jack and lifting it slightly) and the crankshaft and water pump pulleys removed, according to the manual. Do you have a repair manual that describes the steps? I could copy and postal mail you the pages from the Chrysler service manual.
Be sure to visually verify that the camshaft sprocket is not rotating when you rotate the crankshaft, to prove that the timing belt has indeed broken before buying the belt, but I suspect that it has.
Thanks for doing the feedback. By the way you can do the "nomination" again (up to five times in a month).
Roland  

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston