Chrysler Repair/Transmission leak: 41 TE Cirrus/Stratus/Sebring

Hey Roland,

I've been driving my Chrysler Cirrus 1995 in Safe Mode, you suggested that it was my solenoid pack based on the codes, I was just about to replace the pack (thanks for the instructions) and I noticed large puddles of transmission fluid in the driveway (Front Drivers Side)... So my question is what brand of transmission leak stopper works best in your opinion... And also is the ATF fluid the correct one to top off?? Thanks again...

Hi Vahan,
I don't have experience or any recommendations for stop leak of transmission fluid. I would suggest that you begin by jacking up the front left side and see where the wettest surface appears to be located on the transmission as that may show you a leak that is due to one of the oil pan bolts or other screws that might be loose and thus the source of the leak. I did correct a leak recently that was due to a loose bolt on the oil pan on the underside of the transmission.
Stop leak is really only for seals that surround moving parts (torque converter-engine crankshaft or half-shafts that connect the trans to the wheels) and those may not be the cause of your leak.
The tightening torque specification for the bolts of the oil pan and similar-sized bolts is only 13 foot-pounds so be careful not to overdue the tightening and thus break-off a bolt. But it may be that an oil pan bolt(s) is loose which allow leakage of fluid around the edge of the pan.
I would be hesitant to put any stop leak in the transmission. Begin by gently tightening all the bolts around the pan to find which if any are looser than the others. If you have a torque wrench then use it, and if not then tighten all the bolts only to the tension of the very tightest bolt that you find when you do the initial inspection of the bolts.
Only use Mopar ATF Plus/Type 7176 or equivalent to top off, but don't overfill it.
Please feel free to do another rating and nomination, as you have been so kind to do in the past.
PS: By the way, when your trans entered limp-in mode did you verify that the fluid level was in the proper level? Loss of fluid to below the minimum acceptable level can cause limp mode.

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, or asleep overnight, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).