Chrysler Repair/Wipers will not work: '02 mini-van

QUESTION: Hi I have a 2002 Dodge Caravan Sport. Last week the wipers stopped working completely. So my husband last night changed out the motor but that still didn't fix the problem. He checked the voltage to everything and it was all fine. We thought it might be the switch on the steering wheel itself but the sprayers still work so we don't think it is the switch. Do you have any ideas of what it could be? would it be the BCM?

ANSWER: Hi Katelyn,
I am not sure what you mean by 'checked the voltage to everything". There are two relays in the fuse/relay box in the engine compartment at its front just to the outboard side of center. The front-most one is the wiper "on-off" relay, and behind that is the wiper "hi-low" relay.
The on-off relay should click when the ignition switch is in the run position and you request wiper action at the multifunction switch. Does it click? If so, then check that fuse #4 (30 amp) is good as that is the power source that the relay controls and passes along directly to the wiper motor. If the fuse is ok, then check that voltage is getting to the motor on either pin 1 or 3 (depends on speed selected) and check that the wire on pin 4 is indeed grounded.
If the relay doesn't click then the problem could be in the circuit from the multi-function switch to the bcm and from the bcm to the fuse/relay box in the engine compartment which is the circuit that actuated the on-off relay when you request wipers. Four fuses power the bcm: # 14,19,20,24 so check those out.
Let me know what you find and we'll go from there.
Please read the PS below and respond to it.

QUESTION: OK so we do have clicks coming from relays...we don't have any clicks when we turn the wipers on...we have 4.66 volts on small brown wire with a gray tracer on it going to the wiper motor...what else should we try?

ANSWER: Please explain: when do you have clicks coming from the two wiper relays (or at least the off-on relay) but don't have clicks when you turn them on? The off-on should click once when you turn it on, and then if intermittent is requested it will click repeatedly when intermittent.

QUESTION: On off relay clicks when key is turned on. When wipers are requested there is no clicking from relays.

Hi Katelyn,
Are you sure it is the on-off relay that click when you turn the key to run position? Touch the relay to be certain that is the one that is clicking. I believe it should not go "on" until you move the multifunction to the lowest intermittent position. If it clicks immediately than I would wonder if there may be a problem with the multifunction switch (which is a series of resistances that are "looked at" by the bcm to interpret what is your request. It is supposed to be 'open' (infinite ohms) resistance in the off position of the switch.
For now, try switching the two wiper relays with similar part number relays in the power box.
The next step would be to measure the resistance of the multifunction switch in its various positions to be sure that part of the circuit is OK. Does your meter measure resistances as well as voltage?
The 4.6V on the brown/gray wire is related to the self-parking circuit, so that voltage may be OK.
Please feel free to do another rating and nomination if you would be so kind.

Did you solve the wiper problem? Can I be of further help?

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, or asleep overnight, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).