Chrysler Repair/2000 Chrysler Sebring no start

QUESTION: I read your response in earlier postings  in regards to jumping the start solenoid. I jumped the solenoid sockets the starter engaged, with the key in the on position it would not start

ANSWER: Hi Bill,
I assume that this is a convertible or a sedan, correct?
Fuse 8 (20 amp) in the power distribution box supplies 12v to both the ignition switch section that powers the engine control module and to the starter relay and relay's output that goes to the starter solenoid, and a number of other things like the fuel pump. Take a close look at fuse 8 to be sure that it doesn't have a crack in its internal wire.
Then if fuse 8 is good, because even though the starter motor will run when the starter solenoid is jumped, there is another problem that we may get a clue about if you will turn the ignition switch: "on-off-on-off-on and leave on" doing that in 5 seconds or less elapsed time. Then watch the odometer window to see the mileage reading be replaced by a 4-digit number preceded by a P. Let me know what you find.
Also, is there any history prior to when the no start began?
Please read the PS (below) and respond to it.

Thank You for all your help, it turned out to be the number 5 fuse

That is another "key" fuse in that it powers the spark/fuel system and it is also a power source for the engine controller which if that doesn't have power will not signal the starter relay to be activated. The clue to that fuse being bad would be that the fuel pump would not make a humming sound when you turn the key to the run position, for about a second.
Thanks for the question. Thanks for the rating of my first answer, Bill. If you would do that again only this time also say 'yes' to a nomination for volunteer of the month I would be most appreciative.

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, or asleep overnight, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).